Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

on Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:11 PM +0100, Jérôme Marant (jerome.marant@free.fr) wrote:
> Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> writes:
>
> > This doesn't help on the valid-outside-postings issue.
> > There are lot's of valid postings from non-Debian non-subscribers to the
> > list (especially to security@debian.org you really won't want to lose
> > such mails ;)
>
>   We can always setup lists a different way w.r.t. some requirements.

> > BTW: Spammers targeting mailing lists will soon learn to grab email
> > adresses from list archives and abuse these for sending...
>
>   Why not rewriting any email address within list archives by the means
>   of an automatical process?
>   For instance, we could rewrite "a@b" to "a AT b" or "a@_ANTISPAM_b"
>   and so on, and changing the rewrite rule regularly in order to
>   make it unpredictable.

Because some of us prefer to be reachable by humans.  Making *that* task
more difficult is conceding to the spammers.

I've got a set of filters (spamfilter, which is essentially a whitelist
+ list filter ruleset), to which I've added spamassassin as a
replacement for my own spam heuristics (effective, but a bit too much
so).

I receive 200-500  emails daily (directly and through lists), perhaps a
dozen or so are spam, these are reported aggressively (ricochet, both
bound to a mutt alias and automatically triggered for suitably
high-scoring spam).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org