Re: Trying to fix slang (xterm)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:03:12PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Right now, you have the "majority" covered. But you could cover 100% of
> > them by following the xterm FAQ recommendations.
>
> Nope, I can't.  Systems that lack XFree86's xterm implementation will
> just complain of an unknown terminal type when you connect to them.

Okay, so a good point against altering what xterm identifies itself as.

> Furthermore, because what "TERM=xterm" means is not standardized, no
> value I can set can possibly be compatible with all other
> implementations.

Setting the terminfo entry of plain 'xterm', to be the plainer, 'old'
definition, makes it function well with both xfree86 xterm, AND X
Consortium xterm.

While that may not work with 100% of all things claiming to be 'xterm',
[although it should],  it's certainly better than the current terminfo, which
will **ONLY** properly work with xfree86 xterm.

>/me notes that Mr. Brown hasn't fully grasped the Official Motto of the
>X Strike Force yet
>/me decides that Mr. Brown never will, and killfiles him

Oh, I guess the official motto of the X strike force is "ignore user
complaints that go against how Branden has decided to deal with a problem".