Re: Trying to fix slang (xterm)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 02:12:00AM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> PS: The FAQ ITSELF recommends what I'm suggesting, and shows how to do
> it without a recompile:
>
> "If, for example, you are running an older xterm and rlogin to a system
>  where the newer xterm has been installed, you will have this problem,
>  because both programs default to $TERM set to xterm. The solution for mixed
>  systems is to install the newer terminal description as as a different name
>  (e.g., xterm-color) and set the termName resource accordingly in the
>  app-defaults file for the system which has the newer xterm."
>
> Therefore, by the very same FAQ you cited, you should alter the xterm
> App-Defaults file on debian to have termName be something other than
> vanilla "xterm".

Bzzt, wrong again.

$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/xterm.conffiles
/etc/X11/app-defaults/UXTerm
/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color

*YOU* should alter the xterm App-Defaults file on *YOUR* Debian system
to work best with whatever other implementations of xterm you desire!

> Lower down, it suggests using "xterm-xfree86" as the id for xfree86
> xterms.

And yet xterm continues to ship with its built-in termName set to
"xterm".

> But either way, you should see to it that the vanilla 'xterm' terminfo
> is made just that: vanilla

No, I should see to it that Debian's xterm works for that majority of
users, not those who bitch the loudest and possess the fewest clues.

/me quotes the Official Motto of the X Strike Force

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to