Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

Le Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 08:51:20PM -0600, Colin Watson écrivait:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 06:43:57PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > I don't agree. In a perfect world, yes, we would have all available
> > software packaged for debian and all packages maintained. But that's
> > just not reality. It's not even necessary.  There is no need for
> > ``backup maintainers'': if a package is orphaned[1], then either
> > somebody else adopts the package (in which case there is no problem), or
> > the package should be dropped [2] (because apparently, it is
> > ``unneeded'').
>
> This happens eventually, but it introduces a delay of weeks or months in
> which the package sits untended because no-one is sure what's going on.
> We can do without this delay, and having someone who feels "allowed" to
> fix up the package as necessary with minimal delay would be very useful.

Exactly, it's funny how people can miss that. A package is not always
officially orphaned, having a backup maintainer that keeps an eye on the
package from time to time is definitely useful to detect the disparition
of the main maintainer and to take over the package as soon as possible
once he detected that the main maintainer can't continue itw work (or
doesn't want or whatever). And it can be very useful in many other cases
(vacation, busy period for the maintainer, ...).

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com