Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

Le Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 11:54:50AM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw écrivait:
> > maintainer disappears. As those people would get the bug logs, they'd
> > notice that the main maintainer never responds and could decide to take
> > it over.
>
> Well, if that's all you want, there's a much easier

No, that's not all what I want. I want that because for many other
reasons that I won't yet explain here but that you can easily imagine.
:)

Each time we have a structural problem, we try to solve it with
little tweaks and tools, we're not able to have a global view of our
way of working.

We have many talented people but not many « visionaries ». We need
more people able to lead us in the same direction.

> solution: just keep an official list of MIA maintainers, based on

"just" ... that's the funny word. "Just do it". :-)

> replies to bug reports, uploads of packages, closing of bugs, etc, and
> post it to d-d-announce or d-private regularily. I even think such a
> list has already been made, but it would be nice if it could be done on

The only list is the (private) list of MIA maintainer based on echelon
that is maintained by Nils Lohner (CQ on irc).

May I also tell you that such a list is no solution ? The real problem
are the orphaned packages, such a list would only help people to find
orphaned packages, but that's not how things are supposed to go. We
should never have to deal with such problems because a package should
always have a maintainer and the only way for that is to have a backup
maintainer ready. Furthermore it would help in many other conditions
(vacation, busy month for the main maintainer, ...).

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com