Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

Firstly having three people saying that a package should be in Debian seems
like a useless waste of time to me.

Because of this, if such an idea is implemented then I will second any
package which meets current Debian policy without exception, this means that
anyone who wants a new package included needs only one other person to back
it up.  If one other person takes the same approach as me then it'll be just
as easy to get packages in Debian as it is now.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:21, Lenart Janos wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:21:32PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Le Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 11:31:37AM +0100, Lenart Janos ?crivait:
> >
> > Well, the basic idea is not so stupid, but the implementation is not
> > really great.
>
> The important part is that something must be done.

Why?

Why not try to get something done about real problems, such as the fact that
major critically important packages such as libc6 have lots of open bugs of
severity normal or above!

I know that someone will probably say "let's ban work on less important
things until more work is done on libc6 etc".  However the fact is that a
very large proportion of developers lack the skills to work on serious
problems with libc6, I personally don't look into libc6 issues when I have
spare time because of the difficulty with working on that code.

Also having many things packaged for Debian frees up developer time.  The
fact that 99% of all programs I want to use are already packaged saves me a
large amount of time that can be spent on better things (such as Debian
development).

> > I have something better to propose. But it requires a new (long asked)
> > feature : the ability to subscribe to a "package" (to get its bug logs,
> > to get mails sent to <package>@packages.debian.org [1]).

Sounds like a great idea!  There's quite a number of packages I'd like to
subscribe to in that fashion, for such packages I could probably help out
occasionally.

> > PS: Feel free to CC me since I read debian-devel only once a week.
>
> The best would be if *every* package in Debian would have at least 2
> (better, 3) responsible people (like maintainer) assigned to. Please
> note that I am not thinking of Uploaders: . My mail is not about who are
> allowed to upload at all, it's about responsibility.

Why ask for three people when finding one person who has the time to spare is
so difficult?

Also having more people doesn't necessarily get more productivity...