Re: woody is getting worse...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:02:26PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > made a bad decision by letting this bug slip into testing.
> > That's what testing is *for*. It's for making sure that oversights and
> > things that "should work" really do; for catching the slip-ups before the
> > majority of users get hit by them.
>   Has testing's goal changed?  This wasn't how I originally understood it.

No, it hasn't.

Testing's goal is twofold: one to make it easier to prepare a new release
by having a collection of packages that's consistently releasable,
and also consistently up to date. The other is to make a certain class
of users happier with Debian: that is those that are willing to put up
with non-fatal bugs, but aren't willing to put up with software that's
at least a year or two out of date.

The assumption this is based on is that bugs'll be found and reported
while the package is in unstable, and that ensuring dependency and
cross-architecture consistency won't cause things to be held up too long.
These assumptions do need some effort and care to ensure they hold up.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt