Re: woody is getting worse...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:00:20AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Branden, you shouldn't have let this bug get into woody.  Admit it, learn
> > from it, and move on.
>
> Adam, you shouldn't act like a pompous prick unless you want to maintain
> XFree86 yourself.

This has nothing to do with your work maintaining XFree, (which is obviously
much appreciated).  It has to do with a bug that you _knew_ made the server
unusable in some configurations.  When I was personally hit by this bug, I
was pretty pissed off, but since I was running unstable, I really didn't have
anything to complain about.  But the entire point of having "unstable" is to
eliminate bugs like this before they get to "testing".  If this isn't going
to be the case anymore, then we ought to ditch testing, because it's
obviously useless.

> I didn't see anyone -- not the release manager, not anyone -- taking the
> initiative to upgrade the severity of this bug.  Given that, I conclude
> that the matter was left to my discretion.  Second-guessing the decision
> now doesn't do anyone any good.

If what others have said here is true, people filed bugs with RC severities
and you intentionally downgraded them to non-RC severities.  If this is true,
then I don't see how this has anything to do with the release manager.  If
it's not true, then you should take issue with the people on the list who are
saying it.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>