Re: woody is getting worse...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:51:41AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The difficulty involved in fixing a bug does indeed impact the severity
> > of a bug, though of course it's not the sole criterion.
>
> And that one would be the "red herring" fallacy. The definitions of "minor"
> and "wishlist" don't have anything to do with determining which of "normal",
> "serious" or "grave" a bug should be.

Again, wrong.  Our bug severity definitions use vague language and you
have to read the whole list to get a "feel" for what severity a given
bug should be.  The description of each severity doesn't exist in a
vacuum unto itself.  You're expected to read the descriptions of all of
them and pick the one that's the best match.

In fact, you're demonstrably wrong using the very language in the
documentation of our BTS:

"The bug system records a severity level with each bug report. This is
set to normal by default, but can be overridden..."

Now how one is supposed to know to override a bug of "normal" severity
without reading the list of bug severities and their descriptions is
quite beyond me.  Bugs start in an unsorted pile called "normal", and
then a selection process is applied to move them into other piles
called "critical", "important", "wishlist", etc.  This selection process
is driven by the definitions of the bug severities.

If you want some algorithmic description of bug severity determination
wherein one need not know the names or definitions of bug severities to
categorize a bug, feel free to write one up, but such a thing does not
exist in the BTS documentation we have at present.

Perhaps you should stop leveling charges of fallacious reasoning until
you've demonstrated a grasp of what it is.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to