Re: woody is getting worse...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:13:43AM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> This has nothing to do with your work maintaining XFree, (which is obviously
> much appreciated).  It has to do with a bug that you _knew_ made the server
> unusable in some configurations.  When I was personally hit by this bug, I
> was pretty pissed off, but since I was running unstable, I really didn't have
> anything to complain about.  But the entire point of having "unstable" is to
> eliminate bugs like this before they get to "testing".  If this isn't going
> to be the case anymore, then we ought to ditch testing, because it's
> obviously useless.

So we should throw out testing because this particular bug slipped
through?

Don't worry, I do indeed regret that this bug made it into testing, if
for no other reason than that all the personal attacks are exasperating.

> If what others have said here is true, people filed bugs with RC severities
> and you intentionally downgraded them to non-RC severities.  If this is true,
> then I don't see how this has anything to do with the release manager.

For bugs to be merged, they have to have the same severity.  The
original bug was filed as "important", which isn't RC.  I downgraded it
to normal, which people may or may not agree with, but neither in its
original severity or in the one I set it to would it have kept the
package out of woody.

When subsequent bugs were filed, I merged them with the earliest report
so that they would all be closed automatically when 4.1.0-8 was
dinstalled.  After all, it's good not to have erroneous bugs cluttering
the BTS, right?

Well, maybe not.  Maybe people would rather bug severities were never
downgraded, and bugs never merged.  That way every bug submitter is
empowered to exercise a single-handed veto on the progress of any given
package into woody.

Alternatively, such matters can be left to the maintainer's discretion,
and when his opinion is disagreed with, people can upgrade the bug in
conjunction with a persuasive argument.  In this case, nobody bothered.
Since it's my package, I take full responsibility for the fuckup.  But I
find it intriguing that when you were "pretty pissed off", you didn't
take any initiative to see that the package didn't proceed into testing
in such a state.  Debian is a collaborative, volunteer project, and if
we care only about the little fiefdom that is our own package running on
our own architecture, we're depriving ourselves of some excellent
synergistic effects.

I left the bug at normal severitity because I:

1) thought that users of testing and unstable, by and large, read
debian-devel;
2) thought that users of testing and unstable, by and large, bothered to
check for the existence of previously filed bugs on a subject;
3) thought that users of testing and unstable, by and large, wouldn't
get the screaming willies at the notion of editing 2 characters out of a
two-line conffile;
4) thought that users of testing and unstable, by and large, would take
the initiative to challenge my assessment of the bug's severity before
the package went into woody, if they sincerely disagreed with that
assessment.

Clearly, I have misjudged my audience and you can be sure that this
experience will inform my future decisions.  I did not appreciate the
degree to which testing had supplanted potato as an end-users'
distribution, in which almost complete faith is placed in the developers
to hammer all the signficiant bugs out of a package release in less than
10 days.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!