Re: ddtp: new notifications mails, opt-in or opt-out?

Quoting Christian Kurz (shorty@debian.org):
> > Sorry, but this is how Debian has operated since the early days.
>
> Well, but in the early days, there were not that many developers and
> especially such high traffic on this list, as it now occurs in
> discussions. And expecting that everyone has enough time to read all
> those discussions and participate in the for him interesting ones, is
> not acceptable. [1] So since the number of debian developers has
> increased a lot since the early days, debian should respect that and
> change some of the ways it's been operated on. Insisting on keeping old
> old behaviour and never making any change won't improve debian or help
> with improving it.

Yes, improvement is good, but in this case what you want to do is a
huge step backwards and not forwards.

> > If we would constantly call for formal votes all day long, no more
> > productive work would be done.
>
> I was not talking about constantly calling for voting, but for important
> changes like the ddts is introducing into debian. And having 10-20
> people creating a consensus for all 700 and more developers is in my
> opinion not acceptable.

Then they should participate in the discussion.

> > Everybody had his chance to voice his opinion.
>
> But only if he was able to keep up with following the lengthy
> discussions on debian-devel. Everyone who had not the time for this,
> hadn't the chance. So there wasn't a fair chance for all developers to
> voice their opinion about this topic.

Not true. If they are interested they can. Even I manage to, if I
think it is important enough and I am pretty sure my workload is far
higher then yours.

> [1] Not everyone is so fast like Wichert to be able to check so many
> mailing-list in such a short time for the interesting ones and answer
> them.

It is just a matter of prioritizing it.

Mike

ScioByte GmbH
Michael Neuffer                            Phone:    +49 6131 540117
Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2                  Fax:      +49 6131 6109916
55127 Mainz                                Mobile:   +49 171  1406664
Germany                                    Mail: neuffer@sciobyte.com
GPG: 1024D/2A4697BD BC50 E6C6 42F8 144D 8794 E889 FA58 F882 2A46 97BD

People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
with resources that you said you'd use.  But if you're going to do
that, you have to know what you are doing, and if you know what you
are doing, it isn't really research."
             --Dave Liddle, The New Yorker, Feb. 23/Mar.2, 1998, p84