Re: bind9-chroot (was: questions on ITP)

On 30/09/01, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 12:37:32PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > On 29/09/01 Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > IMHO bind should support chroot per mount --bind and if Christian use
> > > 2.2 and he like chrooded bind, he will post a patch to
> > > submit@bugs.debian.org. Or not Christian?

> > No. If the bind debian package will only support chroot by using mount
> > --bind, I will not send in a patch. Especially since like previously
> > stated in this discussion it's fairly easy to chroot bind this days and
> > I don't see any need for depending on kernel 2.4.x features like 2.4.x
> > for this purpose. So instead of sending in a patch, I would stop
> > installing debian on any machine that should be a nameserver and switch

> What? Sorry Christian but this is your problem...

Okay, then I'll take care of it in the way I think it will be the best.

> > to an os, where either I get a chrooted bind by default or directly can
> > build a chroot manually.

> And you can't 'directly build a chroot manually' on a debian system?

Damn, how often do I need to write that I'm able to chroot a bind
manually on any os,  not depending on debian for that task? Don't you
read my mails or do you just try to keep this thread alive and annoy me
with such assumptions?

> Sorry, I don't understand... And maybe you should send a HOWTO and a
> FAQ to the bind9 package. The maintainer can include this for 2.2
> user.

Why? I'm still of the opinion, that we should either support a bind
chroot in both ways (mount --bind and an alternative like cp,rsync) or
don't support that and let still the administrator do this manually, if
he wants/needs.

> > P.S.: I wonder what the hell all you people favoring mount --bind would
> > do if that option wouldn't be available. Would you then stop chrooting

> And I wonder what the hell you throw away debian. If you have more
> problemes with debian? (The '--bind problem' is IMHO not a reason to
> throw away it...)

I love it, when people are ignoring my question and and getting a nice
flamebait instead. Thanks for trying, but it didn't work. And where
exactly did you read a statement from me about other problems with
debian?

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)