Re: bind9-chroot (was: questions on ITP)

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 04:25:36PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:

> No, please reread my previous mails: I claim that people will abandon
> debian, if we only support chrooting bind via mount --bind and not
> offering alternative at least for users of kernel 2.2.x.

yes that is absurd.

lets look at this:

people see debian only supports chrooted bind on 2.4 kernels because
of mount --bind, they can do either:

a) manually configure a 2.2 capable chroot for bind manually.
b) be irrational, dump debian, and configure a chrooted bind manually.

now what exactly did switching distros buy them?

> At least I would be upset if I install a bind package which just offers
> to chroot itself when I use kernel 2.4.x and not when I use a kernel
> 2.2.x. That would offend me and make me look for an other distribution
> where either I get full support for chrooting bind or completely do it
> manually, independent from the kernel version.

so i assume you are offended that woody cannot support moduler 2.0 kernels.

> Then please respect also the Debian Free Software Guidelines, that
> clearly state:
>
> |  4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
> |
> |     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
> |     community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We

and please respect Policy section 11.7 regarding configuration files.

> Hm, I would say that rndc (ndc for bind 8) would still work, so that you
> would only need SIGHUP seldom. So option 1 sounds like a possible
> solution to me.

depends how you sync the conffiles.  bind can't see the config files
in /etc which is what the admin will edit.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/