Re: bind9-chroot (was: questions on ITP)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:39:53PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > The standard Debian distribution kernel is 2.2.
>
> And in which way does this force an administrator to use that kernel? He
> can safely downgrade to a 2.0.x kernel, if he ensured to use mount -O
> none.

actually not in woody, unless his 2.0 kernel does not use kernel
modules at all.  modutils in woody doesn't support 2.0.

> That's another problem, but do you really want to get people to move to
> other distributions, just because we are not able to use cp,rscync or
> any other tool instead of mount --bind?

lets not exaggerate, the only distribution i know that actually
chroots bind by default is OpenBSD.  it wasn't until very recently
that linux distrubutions even stopped running it as root by default
(which all of them except debian have now done).  but last i checked
redhat and friends ran it as named.named but not in a chroot.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/