Re: bind9-chroot (was: questions on ITP)

On 01-09-27 Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:39:53PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > The standard Debian distribution kernel is 2.2.

> > And in which way does this force an administrator to use that kernel? He
> > can safely downgrade to a 2.0.x kernel, if he ensured to use mount -O
> > none.

> actually not in woody, unless his 2.0 kernel does not use kernel
> modules at all.  modutils in woody doesn't support 2.0.

Oh, that's an interesting fact that no one mentioned so far.

> > That's another problem, but do you really want to get people to move to
> > other distributions, just because we are not able to use cp,rscync or
> > any other tool instead of mount --bind?

> lets not exaggerate, the only distribution i know that actually

Where I'm an exaggerating, I'm just describing the problem and how one
possible one to handle it would be.

> chroots bind by default is OpenBSD.  it wasn't until very recently

It's not about the problem of having chroot by default. Having a script
that is invoked upon user interaction that generates the chroot would in
my opinion be also an acceptable solution. We just shouldn't have a
solution for chrooting bind that depends on kernel 2.4.x features.

> that linux distrubutions even stopped running it as root by default
> (which all of them except debian have now done).  but last i checked

Ah, that's interesting to hear. I haven't looked at the other
distributions so far, because of not having enough disk-space.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)