Re: LILO

    Manoj> 	You conveniently forgot to quote:
    Manoj> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> If you have noticed, /etc/kernel-img.conf is *NOT* a conffile
    >>> precisely for this reason.
    Manoj> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Itai> Or, are you suggesting that it's OK for a bootloader's
    Itai> postinst to modify /etc/kernel-img.conf?

I seem to remember it was against policy to modify a config file
(notice I said config file) owned by another package. I am not sure
if that applies here or not though.

    Manoj> 	Why not? It is a better idea than mucking around with
    Manoj> update-alternatives, I think.

update-alternatives is only one solution.

My proposal was similar to, say /etc/ppp/ip-up.d, where multiple files
can exist, and all of them are executed.

So, you might have /etc/kernel-img/install-kernel/* and
/etc/kernel-img/remove-kernel/*

You could have individual scripts in here to:

- maintain /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old symlinks
- update lilo config (depending on local system policy).
- run lilo to reinstall boot sector
- update grub configuration.

of course, order is important, eg. vmlinuz step must come first.
However, I believe that all of this is already provided for by
run-parts.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>