Re: LILO

    Robert> Kernel-package (and the default lilo install) uses
    Robert> /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old, which are symlinks to the
    Robert> 'current' (latest-installed) version and the version
    Robert> before that. After dpkg -i -ing a kernel built by
    Robert> make-kpkg, these links are updated, and you just have to
    Robert> run lilo (afaik the postinst does just that).

the boot loader package should be responsible for reinstalling itself,
not the kernel image.

eg: just because I have a copy of lilo installed (maybe I don't
entirely trust grub yet), doesn't mean I want lilo to replace my
working configuration of grub when I install a kernel-image!

If, however, it was done by the boot loader, it would be possible to
customise it in order to disable it from running lilo.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>