Re: LILO

Danny ter Haar wrote:

> Itai Zukerman  <zukerman@math-hat.com> wrote:
> >lilo needs to be re-run after installing a new kernel, right?  grub
> >doesn't?
> correct, although for automatic reboot of new kernel, new config
> lines need to added...

For LILO I know this can be done with grep, cat, and echo or more
artistically with sed.

A script that has a few standard parameters could easily be called
by the new kernel's install.  The script would be provided by the
boot loader.

I'm thinking parameters like:
    kernel=/boot/k2.4.4
    label=k2.4.4
    make_default

If nothing needs to be done, then the script can be quite simple:
    #!/bin/bash
    exit 0

I did some similar stuff for automating kernel updates at my last job.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |