Re: LILO

Je 12 May 2001 12:55:34 -0500,
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> scribis:
>  Itai> I still feel it would be better if the boot loaders conformed to a
>  Itai> common interface, though.  What if I write a new boot loader?
>  Itai> Everyone who installs it will need to change their kernel-img.conf.
>
> 	*Sigh* Those people have to do more anyway to change their
>  setup; they have to set up the new boot loader for themselves, and
>  editing kernel-img.conf can be an integral part of setting up the
>  boot loader.

You're saying it's better to:

1.  Install a new boot loader.
2.  Root around for files in /etc that need fixing.

than:

1.  Install a new boot loader, and get everything set up in the
    postinst *of that bootloader*.

Or, are you suggesting that it's OK for a bootloader's postinst to
modify /etc/kernel-img.conf?

Or, are you suggesting that it's important that installing a new boot
loader be inconvient and tedious?

-itai