Re: [humourous interjection] Re: long term goals of debian membership

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> All of the places I worked where there was no union have great
> benfits. In fact the place I work for now allows me to telecommute,
> with very flexible hours. Plus they pay my mileage when I do have to
> go into the office! You tell me, how are non-union companies
> screwing folks?

I think looking at your (or mine, or most everyone here) personal
situation probably isn't relevant to most people.  We have skills that
are in high demand, and have people competing to employ us.

My uncle used to work for a large chip manufacturer, having come out
of college with a relevant E.E. degree in the late 70ies, when that
industry was taking off.  Now, he's older, and not willing to slave
away anymore, and his industry is maturing, as well.  Finding new jobs
is harder.

Interesting stuff.  Like in most situations, a balance is probably
called for.  In industries where the workers is replaceable commodity,
unions are probably a good thing.  They should probably modernize,
though.

--
David N. Welton
http://www.efn.org/~davidw/