An off-topic rant about logic, life and values (Was: Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org)

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 04:45:34PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> This was a (poor and failed) parody of his own strawman argument.

I wasn't arguing at that point.  I asked you a question.  The way you
avoid the question tells me about you almost as much as any answer you
could have given.

Now, to your question: do I find logic important?

Yes I do.  I'm a math major, so I know its importance.  But I'm a math
major, so I know its limitations too.

Logical reasoning is based on axioms.  We must have axioms in order
to get meaningful theorems.  But what are the axioms of Real Life?
They're called values.  Values are more fundamental than any logical
reasoning you could come up with.  Now, if you're not willing to discuss
them - the axioms we base our deductions on - then there is no point in
trying to argue logically.  It would be like swimming without water or
having a costume party in everyday clothes - a pointless exercise.

> Seriously, don't you guys ever tire of re-explaining these things to
> me?  Not that I think I ever needed it.  :)

You sure sound like you need it.

                 "Fight them without becoming them."
           (J. Michael Straczynski: Babylon 5, 3rd Season)