Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

Montreal Wed Mar 10 15:39:56 1999

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 01:59:20PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > I think many people get turned off from Debian because of the
> > political games (eg, me).
>
> What political games?  The only things political in Debian I can see
> are the annual leader elections.

These political games.  If you go to #freebsd on efnet, you'll find a
surprising number of people who dropped Debian and went to FreeBSD
precisely because of all this pettiness.  There are of course
technical reasons too, like the surprising amount of crude left lying
around after a purge or sometimes the plain stupid organization in/of
packages and other lameness (I don't wish to offend anyone here, I'm
just stating the reasons.  I like Debian very much.)

> If you mean you're being turned off from Debian because Debian is
> committed to software freedom, well, what can I say?  That's Debian,
> and if it were anything else, I wouldn't be a Debian developer right now.

Without the if, this would be some sort of strawman argument.

But the following is:

> > This one is just plain silly when you think about it.
>
> So, freedom is not an important value to you?

So, logical arguments are not important to you?

-N.