Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 04:04:35PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > > The same as for using FreeBSD itself: it's got a nasty BSD license.
> >
> > Er, the BSD license is still DFSG free, last I checked.
>
> Just about all objections against BSD licenses fall in two categories:
> 1) It can be assimilated
> 2) It has the nasty advertisement clause. See
>    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
>
> I suspect John was talking about the second (he's speaking about /a/ nasty
> BSD license, not /the/ nasty BSD license).
>
> Many people prefer BSD-sans-ad-clause to the old BSD license.

Based on my thousands of arguments with John on this very subject many
many times over, I would say that his problem with the BSD is the former
as he also considers the X license to be "nasty" because it can be
exploited.

"I think that most debian developers are rather "strong willed" people
with a great degree of understanding and a high level of passion for what
they perceive as important in development of the debian system."
        --Bill Leach