Re: Kernel 2.2.1

Alex Romosan <romosan@adonis.lbl.gov> writes:

> i didn't think it was apt, either. anyway, there is a new kernel out
> there, 2.2.2, maybe it fixes all these problems. btw, were you running
> autofs on the machines that locked up?

	Man, I don't really know.  This mounts file systems on demand somehow?
Two of the machines seemed to crash exclusivley in connection with scsi emulation
for ide.  I mistakenly thought that scsi emulatuion was not supported under 2.0.x .
The autofs problem (don't know what it was) has been fixed for 2.2.2, but the ide-scsi
problem, which has several posts on  the kernel devel list, has not yet been addressed.
The ide guy knows about it now , however.
	Anyway, on the third machine, I was transfering ~1GB from one mounted ide
partition  to another (e2fs).  It would hang virtual consolse and X and the network,
so probably the kernel.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>