Re: Nomination

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 05:35:03PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 07:38:13PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > <snip, alot of stuff about past dpl's>
> >
> > First, I want to say that I wouldn't have jumped into this if not for the
> > reference to my name and an assumption that was completely unfounded.
>
> I would like to think all of us have given it considerable thought before
> nomination.

I meant jump into this conversation.

> > Second I want to add that I fail to see how past DPL's have anything to do
> > with the current nominees capability as possibly the next DPL. How does
> > "so and so didn't have time to do this" prove that some one else does?
> > Please let's not start comparing any one, it only creates bad feelings.
>
> Those who do not understand the past are doomed to repeat it.  ->

Still, using your opinions (and I stress opinions) to inadvertently (i'm
sure this was not your intent, but it was the impression) place yourself
at a higher standard than some one else, is not befitting.

> > Just because I work fulltime, and have a family life doesn't mean I can
> > not take on the responsibility. No I wont be a Debian junkie, staying
> > up late and getting up early just to see that Debian hasn't died
> > without me. I would hope however, that two sturdy feet on the ground
> > would count for a strong grasp of the responsibility that it will take
> > to be the DPL.
>
> I meant rather that you seemed from your initial mail to have a lot going
> on in your life and I was concerned that you might not be able to fit in
> Debian with everything else.  You seem to be doing fine though.  It was
> an initial concern/worry I no longer have and I'm sorry I didn't make
> that clear enough.

My problem with this was not so much that you had an opinion. If another
maintainer had said it, I would have responded in another fashion. It's a
matter of courtesy i believe, although we are fellow maintainers and we
shouldn't have any hard feelings toward each other, that making comments
like this in the mist of an electorate discussion, seems...well...like mud
slinging, and dare i say FUD. It seemed to seed a notion, however
unintentional it was, that I was incapable of devoting the time needed to
the DPL position.

I have made a very definite effort not too point out or dwell on any
opinions I have of you or wichert (wichert seems to have done likewise).
This is best left to the other developers. I hope you will give me the
same courtesy.

thanks,
  Ben

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org