Re: Nomination

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 07:38:13PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> <snip, alot of stuff about past dpl's>
>
> First, I want to say that I wouldn't have jumped into this if not for the
> reference to my name and an assumption that was completely unfounded.

I would like to think all of us have given it considerable thought before
nomination.

> Second I want to add that I fail to see how past DPL's have anything to do
> with the current nominees capability as possibly the next DPL. How does
> "so and so didn't have time to do this" prove that some one else does?
> Please let's not start comparing any one, it only creates bad feelings.

Those who do not understand the past are doomed to repeat it.  ->

> > >   Joseph> I'm going to pick on Manoj a big here too since he is another
> > >   Joseph> developer widely considered somehow superhuman in terms of
> > >   Joseph> development of packages.  When I asked him to consider running he
> > >   Joseph> declined saying that he doesn't have the time necessary to do what
> > >   Joseph> he's doing now AND be the project leader.
> > >
> > > He has a rewarding job, and a life.  I respect his decision.
> >
> > That is fine and I'm happy things are going well for him.  However if
> > Debian needs someone to make a decision, we usually need one sooner than
> > a week or two after a decision is asked for.  I think all of those in the
> > running now would be better in this regard.
> >
> > I'm concerned that Ben might not have the sheer volume of time, but he
> > seems to know what he's about to jump into if elected, so I wish him
> > luck.
>
> I think throwing this comment in is what set me off. Joseph, I personally
> think you have what it would take to be a "Project Leader", please don't
> make assumptions about my personal situation.

My apologies, I did not mean the above statement quite the way you have
taken it.

> Just because I work fulltime, and have a family life doesn't mean I can
> not take on the responsibility. No I wont be a Debian junkie, staying
> up late and getting up early just to see that Debian hasn't died
> without me. I would hope however, that two sturdy feet on the ground
> would count for a strong grasp of the responsibility that it will take
> to be the DPL.

I meant rather that you seemed from your initial mail to have a lot going
on in your life and I was concerned that you might not be able to fit in
Debian with everything else.  You seem to be doing fine though.  It was
an initial concern/worry I no longer have and I'm sorry I didn't make
that clear enough.

> Dedication to the duties goes a lot further than a caffeine driven, 24/7
> obsession.

Indeed.  You have to make time for other things as well as Debian else
you're likely headed for burnout.  I think that's what hit Bruce in the
end.  And caffiene is bad for you anyway.  =>

--
"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck