Re: Nomination

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 05:48:57PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>   Joseph> The best person for the job should be the one elected, not the one
>   Joseph> with the most popularity points.
>
> Precisely. Now please prove why you are 'the best person'.  And no, my metric
> is not based on the number of emails to this list, or slashdot. Nor does it
> have to be programming.  But I clearly think that Wichert has done more than
> you, for example by preparing the Debian Configuration proposal.

Wichert did a great job on that I think.  If you feel I have not proven
myself qualified but Wichert's work on the above proves he is, I would
suggest you vote for him when the time comes.

Frankly I think the more important thing he has done was the release
critical bug reports.  The configuration proposal worked on by Wichert
and others is great, but I think the critical bug reports are ESSENTIAL.

>   Joseph>  But look at the consequences!  Ian may have worked on dpkg and
>   Joseph> done a lot with it, but what has he done with it since taking his
>   Joseph> position as leader?
>
> You do not seem to know that he also had a PhD to finish, and now has a job
> in Real Life (TM).  I've done the same, and trust me, that changes life from
> being a grad student (which I was when I started maintaing some 3.5 years
> ago).

You've only helped my point.  Ian hasn't really had time for the
position.

>   Joseph> I'm going to pick on Manoj a big here too since he is another
>   Joseph> developer widely considered somehow superhuman in terms of
>   Joseph> development of packages.  When I asked him to consider running he
>   Joseph> declined saying that he doesn't have the time necessary to do what
>   Joseph> he's doing now AND be the project leader.
>
> He has a rewarding job, and a life.  I respect his decision.

That is fine and I'm happy things are going well for him.  However if
Debian needs someone to make a decision, we usually need one sooner than
a week or two after a decision is asked for.  I think all of those in the
running now would be better in this regard.

I'm concerned that Ben might not have the sheer volume of time, but he
seems to know what he's about to jump into if elected, so I wish him
luck.

>   Joseph> To answer your question better, no I haven't done anything like
>   Joseph> write dpkg.  In fact, I hardly speak C at all.
>
> I think you should run as leader. But not now. Maybe next year, maybe the
> year after. You might make a great 'officer' but I won't vote for you at the
> top job. Sorry.

Perhaps that is what will happen at some point.  I'm running now because
I think I am a good choice for leader.  And maybe I'm not, I expect we
shall see when the votes are tallied.  I am sorry, but I'm not going to
drop out of the running because one person would not vote for me.  I'm
not going to let down those who asked me to run and want to see me become
the next project leader.  I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I was
qualified.

--
"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck