Re: Initial Proposal to solve this non-US issue

Raul Miller writes:
> Mine has other people building the list of restrictions, which the
> developer just refers to.  Yours puts all that responsibility on the
> developer.

Mine allows her to refer to your list of known restrictions and then make
up her own mind.  The number of restricted packages is always going to be
small, and the maintainers of those packages the experts on restrictions.

A "restrictions" mailing-list?

> I think that it makes a lot more sense for the developer to just say
> Restrictions: crypto, gif

That requires a central authority to create and maintain a database of all
known restriction types and countries.  A single screw-up and it hoses all
restricted packages.  I dislike central authorities.

> You think it makes more sense for the developer to track the list of
> countries which currently have cryptography laws, updating the package
> as laws are passed,...

A relatively rare event, I think, and one that a restricted package
maintainer is likely to become aware of as soon as anyone else.

> ...and that it makes more sense to have the developer re-issue the
> package when the Unisys patent expires.

That seems simple enough, yes.
--
John Hasler