Re: Initial Proposal to solve this non-US issue

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 11:01:10PM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:

>  The only input I would have to this is that your solution is not general
>  enough.  It simply marks all files restricted in any way as 'restricted'
>  and does not specify _which_ country they are restricted in.  Also, it
>  would be useful to know the kind of restriction.  Is the package import
>  restricted, export restricted, or use restricted due to patents in the
>  specified country.

I thought of that, but it would be more than difficult to keep any sort of
reliable database of which countries have which laws concerning
cryptography. We could have a reference database for mirrors and users to
look at maybe, but I think it would be best left up to the ftp mirror
operator and the user to determine whether or not the restrictions apply
to them.

>  But it's good to see people thinking of a technical solution to this
>  problem.

Thanks, nice to have the first reply not be a flame :)

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org