Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 12:48:25PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
[...]
> The reason I brought this thread up was because of the little things
> that this implicates.  RedHat is now making the standards.  It matters
> not that they release everything as GPL.  If we or anyone else uses
> GNOME, we are playing by RH's rules.  Not everyone sees this as a
> problem.  It may not BE a problem.  But it is darn scary to consider.
>
> Everyone using GNOME is now a RH knockoff.  For the newbie, the only
> reason to use another distribution is to get KDE.

Ummm. I don't agree with your point of view of every GNOME-using distro
being a RH knockoff, but I agree that we have to show our distribution
has some technical advantages, not only the philosophy. If users think we
are just following RH lead they may as well will use RH instead.
That's why things as our menu system, apt, doc-base and so on are so
important. We have to go on improving them, and also make the Linux
community aware of them. (Would I dare to say "marketing"?).

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es