Re: "dpkg --status" not sufficient.

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> > Will dpkg-perl allow me to query the status of the *current* system?
> > It seems to always want a "packages" file, but I must admit, given
> > *no* documentation, I haven't figured it all out yet.
> >
> > Also, even if I can just hand it the "status" file, isn't that just as
> > "bad" as parsing the file by hand (which Ian keeps telling us not to
> > do), or does dpkg-perl know how to safely synchronize with dpkg?
>
> AFAIK, dpkg-perl does the Right Thing, that is, using libdpkg to parse
> dpkg databases.

I looked at all the source for dpkg-perl, and as far as I can tell, it
doesn't use libdpkg for anything.  Further, unless I overlooked
something, the only way I could see to get it to tell you *anything*
about the currently installed packages would be to tell it to parse
/var/lib/dpkg/status, which is a *big* no-no.

If my assesment is right, then I suppose I'll just have to use "dpkg
--status" for *every* package I need to know about.  This is going to
be slow, but at least it's safe.