Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

    Martin> At K90 the last "normal" script is run, so we really only
    Martin> have K91 up to K99.  If we move K89 (atd) to K79 and K90
    Martin> (sysklogd) to K80, we'll have another 10 sequence numbers.

I agree utterly with this.  My basic question was: why can't the
script sequences be renumbered?  The fact that apache decided to be
K91 some time ago does not make forcing ourselves into a technically
sub-optiomal solution right.  I would suggest moving atd to K69 or
K70.  That way we don't souddenly run short again.

Does Debian need a shut-down scripts order in the polocy document? :))

    Martin> How do other unixes achieve this?  E.g. a Slowaris box at
    Martin> work uses 5 scripts that need to run a particular order,
    Martin> we only have 2 of them and 3 that they doesn't have.
    Martin> Fortunately they don't have Sxx scripts that need to be
    Martin> called with the "stop" argument. :-)

I have 14 /etc/rc0.d/K* scripts on each of the first two solaris boxes
I bothered to check here at work.  They don not run the same sequence
of commands at shut-down and there is no problem with adding
additional commands to either sequence, i.e. there' space between the
numbers.

    Martin> Right at the beginning he admitted that the mechanism is
    Martin> broken and that it would be dangerous to change it now as
    Martin> it would break several systems.

OK, my apologies Miguel if I seemed inflamatory - I didn't intend to.
Maybe I shouldn't send e-mail right after drinking a double latte. :)

--
Stephen
---