Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 09:23:51AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Miquel> Yes we do. And I'm not going to explain this all *again*.
>
> Explain to me in words of one sylable how the range 00-99 suddenly
> became the range 91-99

Stephan, please read the whole thread at
http://www.debian.org/List-Archives/debian-devel.9805/  I'm sorry,
although I agree to you partially, it doesn't help the discussion
to ask for the same thing several times.

We don't talk about the whole range, and we don't talk about all
scripts.  We are only talking about the last n (n ~= 5) scripts
that need to be executed for shutdown (reboot || halt).

Miquel has already posted a list of the scripts and I did, too.

At K90 the last "normal" script is run, so we really only have
K91 up to K99.  If we move K89 (atd) to K79 and K90 (sysklogd) to
K80, we'll have another 10 sequence numbers.

>     Miquel> Nope. You clearly do not understand the mechanism at all.
>
> No, I haven't got the first clue. I've only been using the exact same
> mechanism for over siz years on multiple Unices. :)

How do other unixes achieve this?  E.g. a Slowaris box at work uses
5 scripts that need to run a particular order, we only have 2 of them
and 3 that they doesn't have.  Fortunately they don't have Sxx scripts
that need to be called with the "stop" argument. :-)

> Then where in the thread (which I did read) did you mention removing
> the throughly broken (IMNSHO) use S?? as a shut-down mechaism?

Right at the beginning he admitted that the mechanism is broken and
that it would be dangerous to change it now as it would break several
systems.

Regards,

	Joey

 / A mathematician is a machine                                  /
/                           for converting coffee into theorems /