Re: gcc vs egcc

On 19 May 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> "Jules Bean" <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I wonder if we should consider a separate debian-i586 distribution?
> > (Perhaps with a fallback mechanism for packages which haven't been
> > recompiled yet).
>
> Won't most i586 optimizations still run fine on i386 machines?  If
> that's the case, then we could introduce the optimizations without
> creating an additional architecture.

All the i586 optimisations run fine on i[34]86, although in some special
cases, it can become slower on i386. (But I'm not a compiler guru, and
someone else may want to be more specific)

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -