Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 09:36:12PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19980518202808.A13495@tapiola.infodrom.north.de>,
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de> wrote:
> >Miquel, now that we know that this is ugly, could we try to
> >move the 0+6 Snn stop-scripts to 0+6K90-K99 (S99 could be
> >reserved for halt/reboot)?  Just as a longterm goal.  I know that
> >it would be difficult and too dangerous to change the behaviour
> >today.
>
> No, as I said there's not enough space in K90-K99. But the other option
> is not too bad - we could indeed extend the runlevels to allow numbers
> from 100-999 as well, which would run after 0-99. It would not be strictly
> alphabetically anymore though. Or maybe allow hex numbers? KA0 - KAF or
> so.. that would keep the alphabetical order in tact.

Sorry, I object.  Could you explain that more detailed?  Why 9
levels aren't enough to catch the scripts?

> >This would mean persuading maintainers not to use rc[60].d/Snn
> >scripts that need a stop lines.
>
> The only package that uses something like that is mdutils, should be
> easy enough to fix.

If mdutils really would be the only script, it's really easy to fix
as I'm its maintainer.  However mdutils stop has to be called
_after_ umountfs got called which is at S40 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I could introduce an mdstop script that doesn't depend
on the 'stop' argument.

> Maybe in Debian 2.1

I'd appreciate this.  (Not the three-digit nor the hex-digit code)

Regards,

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze  *  joey@infodrom.north.de  *  26129 Oldenburg  /
 / If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country /