Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

    Miquel> Well, we already have K91apache, so only K92 - K99 are
    Miquel> available. It's almost impossible to fix this on existing
    Miquel> running systems you know. We also have to assume a user
    Miquel> has not used K92 - K99 him/herself (which we can't) or
    Miquel> otherwise the system will break.

    Miquel> We already use 5 K levels, and people may want to add
    Miquel> more. We only have 8 K levels free if we asume they are
    Miquel> not used by the local sysadm.

No we don't.

    Miquel> What if we choose to use

    Miquel> K92sendsigs K93urandom K94umountfs K95mdutils.sh K99halt

K92sendsigs belongs much higher in the K* sequence if it does what I
think it does.

    Miquel> When I want to insert a "foobar" script between sendsigs
    Miquel> and urandom, that's no problem. I can use K93foobar. But
    Miquel> at that moment K93 has been used twice, something you want
    Miquel> to avoid. Because now package "argh" comes along and you
    Miquel> want to put it between K93foobar and K93urandom
    Miquel> .. impossible unless you change the name.

    Miquel> That's why I said it's better to use sparse allocation of
    Miquel> the Kxx links.  Because however unlikely this scheme
    Miquel> sounds, Murphy's law guarantees a situation like this will
    Miquel> surface.

The only time particular scripts should care about their position
within a K* *or* S* sequence is when they require the services
set-up/shut-down by another script.

For most scripts, particularly at reboot, these dependencies are
non-existant.  Simply put all debian scripts as a particular number
*unless* the maintainer can show why they should occur earlier or
later.

--
Stephen
---