Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

According to Stephen Zander:
>     Miquel> Well, we already have K91apache, so only K92 - K99 are
>     Miquel> available. It's almost impossible to fix this on existing
>     Miquel> running systems you know. We also have to assume a user
>     Miquel> has not used K92 - K99 him/herself (which we can't) or
>     Miquel> otherwise the system will break.
>
>     Miquel> We already use 5 K levels, and people may want to add
>     Miquel> more. We only have 8 K levels free if we asume they are
>     Miquel> not used by the local sysadm.
>
> No we don't.

Yes we do. And I'm not going to explain this all *again*.

>     Miquel> What if we choose to use
>
>     Miquel> K92sendsigs K93urandom K94umountfs K95mdutils.sh K99halt
>
> K92sendsigs belongs much higher in the K* sequence if it does what I
> think it does.

Nope. You clearly do not understand the mechanism at all.

> The only time particular scripts should care about their position
> within a K* *or* S* sequence is when they require the services
> set-up/shut-down by another script.

Yes. And for the scripts I am talking about this is very important.

> For most scripts, particularly at reboot, these dependencies are
> non-existant.  Simply put all debian scripts as a particular number
> *unless* the maintainer can show why they should occur earlier or
> later.

Which is what I did if you had bothered to read the rest of the thread.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.