Re: Hamm: Exim + Chos standard?

I second the motion.  Smail has been nothing but a headache for me.  I was
*so* releived to get fetchpop working, so that I could bypass the need to
pass my mail thru port 25 on my own machine for delivery.

pine + fetchpop + procmail serves all my email needs.  (Im not up 24/7, so
its ok ;))

speaking of which.  if I packaged up fetchpop, could it get included in
debian?  I much prefer it to fetchmail.  if only fetchmail had a -o or a
localfolder option!  Also, fetchpop guides you thru creation of the
appropriate config file the first time you run it.  *and* it pipes the
stuff transparently thru procmail for you.  Which is a bonus, since it
always screwed up when I tried cat /var/spool/mail/$USER |procmail, and
didnt work at *all* when I just plain ran procmail by itself

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> It might be good if we would replace smail in hamm with exim. Exim should
> be the standard mailer for hamm:

> Also we might think about replacing lilo with chos as the standard boot
> loader from harddisk. lilo always is a difficulty for newbies, chos
> offers:

Sounds good to me.  I am an advocate of many solutions.... I hate to see
any software get dropped from the distribution.  Hell, I still think we
should have continued to include *both* anagram generating programs.
<sigh>  Yup, I'd like to give chos a try.

You developers out there.... does it make your job harder when there are
multiple packages that do the same thing in the distribution?  Lets hear
from you.

Don Dibos