Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:03:11AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 12:56, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:02:20PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> > > superiority of DDR. Non-DDR SDRAM is pretty much obsolete, though cheap.
> > > DDR is king.
> >
> > Great.  Can DDR RAM go in an RDRAM slot and work with an RDRAM module?
>
> Nope, 'fraid not.

:(

> > If not, if/when my parents want to upgrade their box I'm going to have
> > a *lot* of fun... :(
>
> Because they have RDRAM in them now?

Yup.  The Sacred Windowbox (as I call it) is one of those early P4s--
it was actually manufactured in May '01, we bought it in August '01.

> > Nah, not likely; I only play that when I've had a *really* bad day on
> > a Window box *and* I have some free time.  Needless to say, that's a
> > pretty rare combination-- I have more than my fair share of 'bad
> > Windows days', but free time is the problem.  Or, when I *do* have
> > some free time, I'm spending on my Linux box (of course ;).
>
> Like now?

Yeah.  My .sig on my parents' computer is different (older) and I
don't have a copy of my gpg key on that computer; though, now that I
have samba set up, I can update the sig.  Anyway, that's the way to
tell the difference by email.  But I generally go on my computer
during lunch break and at night after school-- otherwise, I'm either
upstairs in high school, or at the community college for US history
and Python (elective).

> > my parents' monitor, OTOH, is a 17", but
> > they would kill me if I turned up the resolution and I wouldn't be
> > able to see properly anyway if I did-- the monitor is 3-4 ft. away, so
> > that's probably part of it.  Otherwise... *shrug* maybe it's a Windows
> > thing.
>
> I don't have any trouble at 3-4 feet away with 1280x1024 on a 17"
> monitor. Ok, a little bit, but not enough to bother me. Windows is
> involved, though; while you can configure the display resolution (in
> dpi), doing so causes all sorts of horrible graphics glitches. X, on the
> other hand, deals with the rather odd setting of 106x100 dpi without a
> hitch, and so do all the applications. Go figure. Fonts are scaled up to

Ah, the beauty of Linux! :)

> > And it slices, and it dices, and it smooths wrinkles, and it cures
> > [random terminal disease]
>
> ...flash! Oh, not that kind of terminal...

LOL  I knew you'd get that pun. :)

> Well, I just tried a quick experiment on my dad's laptop. (One good
> thing about Windows 2000 is it lets you change refresh rates easily.)
> There is no visible difference between a refresh rate of 60 Hz and 100
> Hz. None. I also looked at each display through my digital camera's CCD
> sensor; some scan patterns are clearly visible on the CRT, and there is
> no such thing on the laptop display.

Wow.

BTW, is the refresh rate what causes the flicker if I run certain
screensavers, do you think?  I've often wondered that.

> If nothing else, LCD monitors are _much_ easier on the eyes, for this
> reason. Even if you have to run them at a refresh rate of 60 Hz, they
> are very gentle.

Huh.  That's definitely a Good Thing.

BTW, tomorrow is the computer club meeting, when we start getting
ready to set up the cluster-- hopefully we won't have any snow. :)

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://www.2khiway.net/users/vroemer
Registered Linux user #2880021   http://counter.li.org/