Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 12:42, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:41:07PM -0500, Ryan M. Golbeck wrote:
> > vikki@2khiway.net (Vikki Roemer) writes:
> >
> > > all we have in common) who have no clue about anything that I find even
> > > vaguely interesting and who are interested in the most inane
> > > things. *sigh*
> >
> > Just because you don't like what they are interested doesn't make it
> > inane.  They probably think the same thing of your interests.
>
> Inanity is relative-- to me, things like sports, fashion, and the
> personal life of the celebrity of the month are inane; but the latest
> computer component specs, scientific theory, or good sci-fi
> books/movies are very interesting/important.  For most kids my age,
> the opposite is true; I know that for a fact.  I figured my statement
> implied that their 'life or death issues' (the federal crime of
> wearing black shoes, white socks, and tan pants together; or the
> Superbowl (who's playing this year, anyway? ;) ) are inane *to me*,
> and vice versa.

Did I forget to ask you to have my children? No? Ok, good.

Seriously, though, I think I can understand why people would find the
former subjects important (i.e., having those values is popular, sports
are exciting, beauty leads to sex, etc), but fortunately this does not
mean I share their values. They seem so superficial to me.

Then again, so are the latest computer component specs, if I can't
actually buy those components...

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key