Re: Mailing list headers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 05:12:21PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> >Debian list policy pretty clearly states not to cc the sender on list
> >replies. To quote:
> >
> >"When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
> >copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
> >copied." (http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/)
>
> Why should >I< follow that part when I have been explicitly requesting CCs
> for years and don't often get them?  What makes >you< so special that the
> rule apples to your inbox yet not mine?  Until that rule is followed in
> all its parts, don't expect me to have a lot of sympathy for those that
> fail to follow it and yet expect it to apply to others.

Just to be pedantic, the rule does not say that you are required to
cc those who request it.  It only says that, if a cc is not
requested, then sending one is prohibited.  If it is requested, the
rule leaves you free to honor or ignore the request as you see fit.

If no user ever cc'ed another on posts, they would be following the
rule "in all its parts".  This may not be how the rule was intended
and it may not be what the rule should say, but it is what the rule
does say.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that