Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 07:27, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > Then again, so are the latest computer component specs, if I can't
> > actually buy those components...
>
> Live and hope, die and despair?

Yeah, point. Some day I might be able to buy them!

> Personally, I keep up with processor
> specs largely because I just find it incredible that AMD/Intel have
> come out with processors that are >=2 GHz.

Sounds pretty toasty, doesn't it? I remember when one or the other
rolled out the first 1 GHz processor. It was quite a milestone, IMHO.

> Have they come out with
> 3's yet?

They're getting there quickly, I'm sure...

> But those types of specs I like to keep up on.  RAM and HDDs
> aren't all that interesting-- they don't change as much or as
> dramatically as CPUs.

Yeah, they just get bigger and faster. What a gyp. :P

> Video cards-- hmm, I probably couldn't tell a
> Geforce from a TNT2, quite frankly (although I have TNT2s in both my
> parent's computer and mine-- they came with them :); but that's
> because I don't really care overly much.  I don't play any games that
> require an expensive video card. *shrug*

Not planning on playing Doom 3, I take it?

> Sound cards are about the
> same.

Well, there are some that do 3D sound simulation, but the kind of game
that uses that also needs a Radeon 9700, minimum.

> Basically, processors, motherboards, and the price of LCD
> monitors are what I really keep an eye on.

What about resolution on LCD monitors? Last I checked, 1280x1024 was top
of the line...

> But, mostly, I just
> mentioned that as the first example that came to mind.  I mean, if I
> were to walk into Sunday's youth group meeting and announce that I had
> gotten an AMD Athlon XP 2700, what do you think their reaction would
> be?  That was my point.

"*YAWN*"

Close?

Alex.