Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:02:20PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 14:48, Vikki Roemer wrote:
>
> MHz. Dad's laptop has some ridiculously fast Athlon XP or something, but
> it's running Windows 2000, so it's kind of wasted.

"Linux: because a computer is a terrible thing to waste".  Sorry,
couldn't resist. :)

At least he's not running Windows ME-- that's what's running (limping,
actually) on my parents' box.  When I reinstall ME (right after I get
Samba straightened out), I'm going to dual-boot it with Libranet. :)

> > Well, come to think of it, RAM is a kinda interesting-- DDR, SDRAM,
> > RDRAM, etc.  Or at least, there's more to keep track of.  HDDs,
> > outside of size, don't vary much AFAICT. *shrug*
>
> RDRAM is dead thanks to Rambus' legal (illegal?) maneuvers and the

Hmm, I thought I'd heard something about that.  I know that when
Intel's contract with them ran out, Intel didn't renew it-- that was
(one of) the first sign(s) of trouble for Rambus.

> superiority of DDR. Non-DDR SDRAM is pretty much obsolete, though cheap.
> DDR is king.

Great.  Can DDR RAM go in an RDRAM slot and work with an RDRAM module?
If not, if/when my parents want to upgrade their box I'm going to have
a *lot* of fun... :(

But I thought that P4s didn't work as well with DDR as with RDRAM-- or
was that just FUD on Rambus' part?

> Xbill. Ouch. For those who can't be bothered to get carpal-tunnel
> syndrome the hard way (on a keyboard)...

*grin*

Nah, not likely; I only play that when I've had a *really* bad day on
a Window box *and* I have some free time.  Needless to say, that's a
pretty rare combination-- I have more than my fair share of 'bad
Windows days', but free time is the problem.  Or, when I *do* have
some free time, I'm spending on my Linux box (of course ;).

BTW, how is xbill worse than anything else out there?

> I have these cordless headphones now. Since the wires (between the
> transmitter and computer) don't move very often, they're subjected to a
> _lot_ less wear and tear. They are slightly tinnier than the last
> headphones I had, but it's a small price to pay for the advantages of
> cordlessness.

Cool.

> > Hmm, I'm not sure.  But how can you *see* anything at that high a
> > resolution?
>
> My eyes work extremely well at the distance between the monitor and my
> head.  They never seem to get tired from it, either. I'm somewhat
> nearsighted, but that doesn't really explain this ability of mine; more
> likely it's a side effect, rather than the cause. I don't think I ever
> remember having any trouble reading off monitors, even at high
> resolutions.

Yeah, that's not nearsightedness-- I'm nearsighted, but this monitor
is the only one that I'm trying to get above 800x600.  Mine is a 15",
but it's only about ~1 ft. away from me when I'm sitting forward
typing, so 1024x768 is more comfortable for me to work with
(unfortunately, I'm having a heck of a time configuring X to work with
this bloody video card...); my parents' monitor, OTOH, is a 17", but
they would kill me if I turned up the resolution and I wouldn't be
able to see properly anyway if I did-- the monitor is 3-4 ft. away, so
that's probably part of it.  Otherwise... *shrug* maybe it's a Windows
thing.

> As a result, I often use very high resolutions, and generally prefer at
> least 1280x1024 on my 17" monitor. I would run 1280x1024 on my 15"

Whoa!  Tiny writing...

> monitor too, were it not for the fact that my parents need to use it
> sometimes, and their eyes can't handle that; they want 800x600 on it.
> Neither of these monitors can support resolutions higher than 1280x1024
> at a decent refresh rate, sadly, or I would push it higher. On my 17"

Jeez, I really have a crappy monitor-- the highest mine will handle is
1024x768, with 800x600 as the recommended resolution, according to the
manual.

> monitor, my font of choice for terminal windows and the like is
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-* (in other words,
> semicondensed 'fixed' at 12 points; at 1280x1024, that's a pixel size of
> 13, in case you haven't configured the physical size of your monitor).

Actually, I know points better than I know pixels-- years of using
word processing software. :)

As I said, tiny writing...

> > I just want an LCD monitor because it would fit on my
> > desk better than this CRT monitor does.  And it wouldn't take as much
> > electricity to run it, which would make it run cooler.
>
> And it would reduce your power bill, and it's easier on the eyes (even I
> can see more clearly on such a display), and it doesn't expose the
> viewer to a strong electromagnetic field, and it isn't disturbed by
> electromagnetic fields from other devices (eg, unshielded speakers)...

And it slices, and it dices, and it smooths wrinkles, and it cures
[random terminal disease], and it...

Seriously, I started going off the same way, too, when I was typing
originally-- that's why I stopped where I did. *grin*  But I'm not
sure that an LCD monitor is worth $3-500, even if I *did* have the
money, which I don't.  *shrug*

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://www.2khiway.net/users/vroemer
Registered Linux user #2880021   http://counter.li.org/