Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:25:27AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 07:27, Vikki Roemer wrote:
>
> > Personally, I keep up with processor
> > specs largely because I just find it incredible that AMD/Intel have
> > come out with processors that are >=2 GHz.
>
> Sounds pretty toasty, doesn't it? I remember when one or the other
> rolled out the first 1 GHz processor. It was quite a milestone, IMHO.

AMD was first.

But anyway, it was funny when my family went shopping for a new
computer to replace our old Packard Bell P133 computer a year and a
half ago.  We were walking around looking at all the computers,
starting at the lower-end ones-- 600, 700, 800 MHz, ok, yeah, we
expected that.  Then we hit the 1GHz computers and my Dad almost had
heart failure-- "1GHz?!  Is that even possible?!" (my dad).  "Well, yeah,
apparently..." (my mom).  "Whoa, I want one of those!" (me).  Then my
mom pointed out the 1.3 and 1.5 GHz computers.  Since we figured that
$1400 wasn't bad for a 1.3 GHz computer that included everything
(heck, that was about how much we'd paid for the old one back in '96),
we got it. :)

> > But those types of specs I like to keep up on.  RAM and HDDs
> > aren't all that interesting-- they don't change as much or as
> > dramatically as CPUs.
>
> Yeah, they just get bigger and faster. What a gyp. :P

*grin*

Well, come to think of it, RAM is a kinda interesting-- DDR, SDRAM,
RDRAM, etc.  Or at least, there's more to keep track of.  HDDs,
outside of size, don't vary much AFAICT. *shrug*

> > Video cards-- hmm, I probably couldn't tell a
> > Geforce from a TNT2, quite frankly (although I have TNT2s in both my
> > parent's computer and mine-- they came with them :); but that's
> > because I don't really care overly much.  I don't play any games that
> > require an expensive video card. *shrug*
>
> Not planning on playing Doom 3, I take it?

Nah.  I just play angband (I love angband :), chess, go, tetris, and
xbill.  Though I do play around with desktop themes and screensavers a
lot, so I do mind having an absolutely crappy video card, but a TNT2
is as good as anything as far as I'm concerned.

> > Sound cards are about the
> > same.
>
> Well, there are some that do 3D sound simulation, but the kind of game
> that uses that also needs a Radeon 9700, minimum.

Yeah, well, see above. :\

If sound was a higher priority than it is, I would get a pair of
*real* speakers and ditch the ones that I have now-- I got these
speakers off of the old PB computer.  They came with the
computer and when we sold the old computer to my aunt, she didn't
want/need the speakers, but I did so she gave them to me.  Needless to
say, they sound tinny as 'ell. :(

> > Basically, processors, motherboards, and the price of LCD
> > monitors are what I really keep an eye on.
>
> What about resolution on LCD monitors? Last I checked, 1280x1024 was top
> of the line...

Hmm, I'm not sure.  But how can you *see* anything at that high a
resolution?  I just want an LCD monitor because it would fit on my
desk better than this CRT monitor does.  And it wouldn't take as much
electricity to run it, which would make it run cooler.

> > But, mostly, I just
> > mentioned that as the first example that came to mind.  I mean, if I
> > were to walk into Sunday's youth group meeting and announce that I had
> > gotten an AMD Athlon XP 2700, what do you think their reaction would
> > be?  That was my point.
>
> "*YAWN*"
>
> Close?

Yeah, that would be half the reactions.  The other half would be "Huh?
What's that?  Oh. *yawn*".

*rolls eyes* *sigh*

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://www.2khiway.net/users/vroemer