Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:25:31PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 07:13:31PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 11:18:32AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > The main problem I have with the current setup is that out of the
> > > choices which are currently available, I never know which to pick since
> > > none of them seems to ever work correctly for my purposes. This may be
> > > because I misunderstand them; however, personally I wouldn't call myself
> > > an inexperienced exim user (I've been setting up some fairly complex
> > > exim-based setups), so I wonder how someone who is inexperienced would
> > > handle things.
> >
> > This is one of the reasons why I am the wrong guy to make exim more
> > user friendly. I'm just too experienced to think in the twisted ways a
> > user would do.
> >
> > exim4's README.Debian in unstable and testing has much more verbose
> > documentation about the debconf stuff. Did you already look at this
> > information?
>
> I've just seen that, when preparing the mail I sent in reply to the
> quoted one.
>
> However, I don't think that should be allowed to be relevant for the
> initial configuration, since you cannot see that until you've done the
> initial configuration (unless you do dpkg-reconfigure or similar, but
> that's besides the point for now).

The README.Debian explanation is mainly thought as supplementary
documentation to be used when reconfiguring exim. At installer time,
we are severly limited to a 24x80 screen, and I don't see where that
can be changed in the installer.

Configuring a full-fledged MTA is simply too complicated a job to be
handled gracefully in debconf during the initial install.

> > > What does that have to do with getting your default setups to do it
> > > right?
> >
> > Because there is no universal "right" which is "right" in all
> > circumstances.
>
> Of course, but then you're no longer talking about default setups.

I am. E-Mail is simply too complicated to be boiled down to installer
beginner level.

Greetings
Marc

P.S. I'm going to drop the individual e-mail addresses from the
recipients on my next reply. If people listed there are still
interested in this discussion, they're free to subscribe to one of the
two mailing lists this discussion is taking part. Please keep the
discussion on pkg-exim4-devel, and - unless the -boot people think
different - on -boot.