Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 07:38:23PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:21:17PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > The problem is that there is no way to automatically determine the
> > "best choice".
>
> I disagree.
>
> > There are common setups contradicting each other,
>
> Can you name them?

There are still ISPs not offering a Smarthost. And if they offer a
smarthost, the range of having authentication, no authentication, SMTP
AUTH, SMTP after POP, TLS, no TLS, is rather broad.

> > and the only way to reliably determine which setup does apply to the
> > local situation is to ask the user.
>
> I agree; however, I'm not convinced that the way exim4 currently does
> this is the most appropriate one.

I am open to suggestions. Back when the exim4 packages were developed,
we mainly copied what exim 3 did and debconfed the questions.

> > Frankly, I don't think that there is any chance of simplifying the
> > setup of exim4. mail is rocket science,
>
> Certainly not. Everone uses it; it's ubiquitous.

Almost nobody gets it right, and the mechanisms behind it are by far
the most complex every-day internet service. Even DNS is simpler.

> > and it should be avoided in a newbie setup - they tend to only use web
> > mail anyway.
>
> So, then cater for a default configuration that keeps that in mind.

That default configuration would be "no local MTA at all".

Greetings
Marc