[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY



On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 11:18:32AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:59:31AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 07:38:23PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:21:17PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > > The problem is that there is no way to automatically determine the
> > > > "best choice".
> > > 
> > > I disagree.
> > > 
> > > > There are common setups contradicting each other,
> > > 
> > > Can you name them?
> > 
> > There are still ISPs not offering a Smarthost.
> 
> Does this include residential ISPs?

I do not know.

> > And if they offer a smarthost, the range of having authentication, no
> > authentication, SMTP AUTH, SMTP after POP, TLS, no TLS, is rather
> > broad.
> 
> That sucks. I didn't know that.
> 
> However, it doesn't have to be so bad. Apart from the POP-before-SMTP,
> exim is able to handle all of them natively; and it handles TLS without
> requiring special setup on the client side (provided STARTTLS is
> properly advertised).

The problem is a situation where the smarthost does not allow TLS,
which currently requires the local admin to explicitly allow
authentication over an unencrypted connection.

> > > > and the only way to reliably determine which setup does apply to the
> > > > local situation is to ask the user.
> > > 
> > > I agree; however, I'm not convinced that the way exim4 currently does
> > > this is the most appropriate one.
> > 
> > I am open to suggestions. Back when the exim4 packages were developed,
> > we mainly copied what exim 3 did and debconfed the questions.
> 
> I'll try to come up with something.

Great.

> The main problem I have with the current setup is that out of the
> choices which are currently available, I never know which to pick since
> none of them seems to ever work correctly for my purposes. This may be
> because I misunderstand them; however, personally I wouldn't call myself
> an inexperienced exim user (I've been setting up some fairly complex
> exim-based setups), so I wonder how someone who is inexperienced would
> handle things.

This is one of the reasons why I am the wrong guy to make exim more
user friendly. I'm just too experienced to think in the twisted ways a
user would do.

exim4's README.Debian in unstable and testing has much more verbose
documentation about the debconf stuff. Did you already look at this
information?

> > > > Frankly, I don't think that there is any chance of simplifying the
> > > > setup of exim4. mail is rocket science,
> > > 
> > > Certainly not. Everone uses it; it's ubiquitous.
> > 
> > Almost nobody gets it right, and the mechanisms behind it are by far
> > the most complex every-day internet service. Even DNS is simpler.
> 
> What does that have to do with getting your default setups to do it
> right?

Because there is no universal "right" which is "right" in all
circumstances.

Greetings
Marc

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 72739834
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 621 72739835



Reply to: