Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:21:17PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> The problem is that there is no way to automatically determine the
> "best choice".

I disagree.

> There are common setups contradicting each other,

Can you name them?

I can only think of one, really (all mail gets sent through a smarthost,
and there should be rewriting so that local mail ends up with the right
mailbox at the ISP or webmail service), but I could be missing some.

> and the only way to reliably determine which setup does apply to the
> local situation is to ask the user.

I agree; however, I'm not convinced that the way exim4 currently does
this is the most appropriate one.

> Frankly, I don't think that there is any chance of simplifying the
> setup of exim4. mail is rocket science,

Certainly not. Everone uses it; it's ubiquitous.

> and it should be avoided in a newbie setup - they tend to only use web
> mail anyway.

So, then cater for a default configuration that keeps that in mind.

--
Fun will now commence