Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 07:13:31PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 11:18:32AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > The main problem I have with the current setup is that out of the
> > choices which are currently available, I never know which to pick since
> > none of them seems to ever work correctly for my purposes. This may be
> > because I misunderstand them; however, personally I wouldn't call myself
> > an inexperienced exim user (I've been setting up some fairly complex
> > exim-based setups), so I wonder how someone who is inexperienced would
> > handle things.
>
> This is one of the reasons why I am the wrong guy to make exim more
> user friendly. I'm just too experienced to think in the twisted ways a
> user would do.
>
> exim4's README.Debian in unstable and testing has much more verbose
> documentation about the debconf stuff. Did you already look at this
> information?

I've just seen that, when preparing the mail I sent in reply to the
quoted one.

However, I don't think that should be allowed to be relevant for the
initial configuration, since you cannot see that until you've done the
initial configuration (unless you do dpkg-reconfigure or similar, but
that's besides the point for now).

[...]
> > > Almost nobody gets it right, and the mechanisms behind it are by far
> > > the most complex every-day internet service. Even DNS is simpler.
> >
> > What does that have to do with getting your default setups to do it
> > right?
>
> Because there is no universal "right" which is "right" in all
> circumstances.

Of course, but then you're no longer talking about default setups.

Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible.

--
Fun will now commence