Re: Idea: making it easier to change DEBCONF_PRIORITY

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:30:58PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Something like the following template would work:
>
> With one huge drawback. It is way too long and thus does not fit in a
> standard 80x25 window (even the current one is too long,
> IIRC). Moreover, such long text will indeed not be read by the main
> target, aka end users with minimal clues about mail setup.

OK, so it can use some improvement.

> All this is very tricky...and this is why I'm not sure that changing
> everything now would be very wise.

I'm not suggesting to change anything right now, because I agree with
you that this is anything but the right moment to change it; however, I
do think that the current initial question is way too complicated for
people not familiar with how a mail system works.

> After all, the current way of setting up exim4 is not that confusing
> and we haven't had so many reports about difficulties there.

Would you think that this is because these people have set it up
correctly, or because they just answered some questions at random and
did not bother to ever look at whether their mail setup actually works?

I do think there is a correlation between what I've defined as a problem
above and the fact that reportbug now has the ability to send mail
directly through a smarthost rather than /usr/bin/sendmail...

--
Fun will now commence